Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Soup's On!

The weather cooled off a bit around here the past few days, and hot soup is sounding good again, so I decided to try out another of Leslie's soup recipes. I made this on Sunday, and it's delicious!

Leslie's Hearty Mushroom Barley Soup

Nonstick cooking spray
1 teaspoon extra-virgin olive oil
2 cups chopped onions
1 cup thinly sliced carrots
1/2 cup quick cooking barley (use 3/4 cup for a thicker soup if desired)
2 cans (14 ounces each) fat-free reduced-sodium chicken broth
12 ounces sliced mushrooms (I used baby portabellas)
1 can (about 10 ¾ ounces) 98% fat-free cream of mushroom soup, undiluted
1 teaspoon reduced-sodium Worcestershire sauce
½ teaspoon dried thyme
¼ cup finely chopped green onions
¼ teaspoon of salt
¼ teaspoon of black pepper

Step 1: Coat Dutch oven or large saucepan with cooking spray; heat over medium-high heat or until hot. Add oil and tilt pan to coat bottom of pan. Add onions; cook and stir 8 minutes or until onions just begin to turn golden. Add carrots and cook and stir 2 minutes.

Step 2: Add chicken broth, mushrooms, cream of mushroom soup, barley, Worcestershire sauce and thyme; bring to boil over high heat. Reduce heat; cover and simmer until carrots are tender, stirring occasionally. Stir in green onions, salt and pepper and enjoy!

PS: I forgot to buy the green onions, so to add a little extra flavor, I added some grated Locatelli cheese--and some rosemary to help me remember these things . . . not sure if it helps or not. . .

16 comments:

  1. OMG he's yummy. I could eat him up along with the soup. Rawr XD

    ReplyDelete
  2. We're having warmer weather at the moment. But the weekend sounds cooler. This Soup looks real YUMMY!

    OMG!! And So does he!!!!!!!
    YUMMY, Yummy, I want to touch his
    Nice TUMMY!!!!Do you have anymore of him?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had a after thought.
    Doesn't he look rather like he's up in a tree house in the purple forest somewhere far far away. He has such nice facial hair. A very nice nose. AND...............?I just can't put my finger on it.
    SHARON can you help me here?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Donna you make me smile XD

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's the idea, Ana!
    I don't have any more pictures of him, Donna, but I could look around.
    After reading Sharon's part of the story last night, all I have to say is: Professor Penis strikes again!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That soup sounds great! I love to have a bowl of soup on rainy spring days. And the man candy is food for the eyes!
    :o)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ooooo lala!
    Donna, Ana I agree with both of you but I want to take your ideas up a notch and combine them. Which will leave me with the end result of.....eating the soup from his tummy. Now that sounds Yummy! LOL!

    Cheryl,
    I give up! I was going out of my mind with boredom. I had to come and read the blog to see what you ladies were up to, even though I'm not supposed to come near a computer. So shhhh it will be our little secret. Girls you won't tell my Optometrist right? Besides it's not like I was using it for hours. *grin*

    P.S I'm sending you a picture of my red eye.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Cheryl,
    That makes me very scared and crazy with anticipation. I'm afraid I'm going to fall out of the tree house. That's a big tree house up away from all the Beasties.
    Leslie,
    I'm glad you stopped by for a peek. We won't tell the eye doctor. We need your expert eyes to inspect these exotic, erotic men.
    So rest them please.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh. My. The soup looks delicious, but I'm suddenly distracted...

    As an aside, I LOVE your soup mugs, Cheryl! I'm looking for some like that.

    Find more pictures of the Soup Guy, please;-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow! That's nice eye candy! I'm afraid my thoughts were very much in line with Leslie...soup, tummy, etc. Too bad soup is so HOT...would want to burn anything important! :) Guess we could save him for dessert!

    CA is starting to warm up, but I'll save this recipe for Fall. Can't wait to try it out!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Cheryl,
    More, More, More!!!
    He's just too good not to see our soup Guy again again.
    Hey, Hunk,
    What's your name babe?

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hey girls I just got the T-shirts and they look awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm glad everyone is enjoying keeping warm with the soup AND the hunk! Wish I had more time to go hunk hunting today, but, alas, I must go to work tonight. You can't get to nearly as many good hunks there since the best ones are blocked!

    I got those mugs at Black Mountain Pottery in Gatlinburg, Kendra. I love them!

    OMG! You should see Leslie's red eye! It looks REALLY scary, but the T shirts look terrific!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Yeah for the T-Shirts Leslie.
    Soon Cheryl's Alien Tarts will be the Sisterhood of Traveling T-Shirts.
    Sorry about the Red Eye.
    Tell everyone something went wrong during your Vamp change. For some reason your glowing red eyes didn't go back to normal yet. So back off or you might Bite.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Donna, yes for sure this guy is in the purple forest, but no wolf boy underwear there. Very nice bulge though.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Leslie, that is so nice of you to order the T-shirts, Better rest that eye like the doc says, cause there is some terrific eye candy coming soon.

    ReplyDelete