Hunky Scottish Steak Pie from the Butt and Ben in Ontario, Canada
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 pound cubed beef stew meat or cut up Sirloin Steak
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 (1 ounce) package dry mushroom gravy mix
- 1 cup water
- 1 pinch salt and pepper to taste
- 1 sheet frozen puff pastry, thawed
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon water
- Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add beef stew meat, and cook until browned on the outside. Add the onion; cook and stir until tender, about 5 minutes. Stir in the mushroom gravy mix and 1 cup of water. Season with Worcestershire sauce, salt, and pepper. Turn heat to low, and simmer for 20 to 30 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C). Transfer the beef mixture to a casserole dish. Roll out the puff pastry to cover the top of the casserole dish. Press edges onto the rim of the dish to seal. Whisk together the egg and 1 tablespoon of water in a small cup using a fork. Brush over the top of the pastry.
- Bake for in the preheated oven, until the pastry is puffed and golden brown.