Tuesday, November 27, 2012

Tasty Tuesday Cranberry Pumpkin Bread!

I tried something new with my Thanksgiving leftovers this year. I had a little bit of pumpkin puree, some buttermilk left over from making something or other but not enough to do it again (you know what I'm talking about), and the remains of the whole cranberry sauce that I'd made, basically for me and Mike, which means there was a lot of it left. I usually find it, moldy and weird, in the back of the refrigerator months later. This time, I resolved to make it disappear.

But what to do with such things? I was already making my yeast pumpkin bread, which used up some of the leftover pumpkin puree from the pie, but not all of it. So I thought, why not try a different kind of bread? As the basis for this concoction, I used a recipe for banana bread and dumped all of the buttermilk, cranberry sauce, and pumpkin in it along with some extra spices, and reduced the amount of sugar the original recipe called for since there was already a fair amount of sugar in the cranberry sauce and came up with this.
Cranberry Pumpkin Bread

















Ingredients

1 stick butter, softened
2 eggs
1 tsp vanilla
2 cups white whole wheat flour
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
3/4 cup brown sugar

To this, I added (and these amounts are very approximate):
1/4 tsp each of cinnamon, ginger, and nutmeg,
1/4 cup buttermilk,
1/3 cup pumpkin puree
1 1/2 cups cranberry sauce

Put in greased loaf pan and bake at 350 degrees for 1 hour or until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean. This took 1 hour and 20 min in my oven. With less cranberry sauce and no buttermilk, it wouldn't take as long. The results were slightly scruffy-looking, but tasty.

9 comments:

  1. I love how tousled his hair is, it makes him look like he was just thoroughly shagged and his YD says he's ready for round 2.

    ReplyDelete
  2. He is quite lovable, isn't he? Sweet, warm, and cuddly!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the Idea of the leftovers bread recipe. And....This cute scruffy hunk must be the outdoorsy type. I wouldn't mind being stranded alone in a cabin in the woods with him. I bet he knows how to use that woody expertly. I can imagine a wonderful romp bare on a bear rug. LOL!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh yum. Just Yum. Can I keep him? Oh and the bread too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. The bread's all gone. Guess you'll have to make do with the hunk!

    ReplyDelete
  6. He's slightly more furry than I like but I will gladly suffer through it for that smile.

    ReplyDelete
  7. He's absolutely perfect!! ll that gorgeous male flesh, and that quirky smile...he looks like FUN INCARNATE!!

    ReplyDelete