Tuesday, October 15, 2013

Tasty Tuesday Pumpkin Biscuits!

Now that I have a new pumpkin sitting out on the deck, I figured I'd better use up the pumpkin puree I froze last fall. Sam loves pumpkin bread so he has no problem with this, but since I usually freeze the pumpkin in the large-sized cottage cheese containers, I always have some left over. There isn't enough for another batch of bread, but not so little that I want to throw it away.

The solution? Pumpkin biscuits!

Catmaster Pumpkin Biscuits


Ingredients
2 cups self-rising flour
1/2 cup pumpkin puree
1/2 cup buttermilk
1/2 tsp soda
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp each of cloves, nutmeg, and ginger
1/4 cup firmly packed brown sugar
1/3 cup shortening.

Directions
Mix dry ingredients together in a large bowl, then add the shortening, pumpkin, and buttermilk. Mix with a fork to cut in the shortening until you have a soft, sticky dough. Turn dough out onto a board with a handful of self-rising flour and knead a few times until the extra flour is incorporated and the dough loses its stickiness. Press out to about 1/2 inch thickness and cut with biscuit cutter. Place biscuits on a greased cookie sheet and bake at 450 degrees for 12-14 minutes and enjoy!

7 comments:

  1. *Copies recipe down quickly* I need to find a love for pumpkins lol.

    ReplyDelete
  2. These sound yummy! I love pumpkin, but I may end up substituting sweet potato or squash. Hubby dug 2 bushels from the garden last weekend, and we have just as much butternut squash. I thought I was done canning this year...

    ReplyDelete
  3. These would be good with either of those, I think. Have fun with the canning!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks good. I'll have to keep this in mind, when I have leftover pumpkins. I mix the little leftovers into pumpkin spiced pancakes. It taste great too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, Donna, I LOVE pumpkin pancakes! Guess what's now on the menu for Sunday breakfast! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm not much of a pancake fan, but I could get excited about a pumpkin version! Must try that!

    ReplyDelete