Saturday, December 30, 2017

Potato Casserole Recipe!

My grandmother used to make this casserole, but the version I have is in my sister's handwriting on a 3 X 5 card that has definitely seen better days. I used to make this with Ore Ida hash brown patties, but since I can never find them anymore, I've tried using hush puppies or the shredded hash browns. The shredded are easier, although the bag is bigger than 1 lb 8 oz original. If you want to use the full bag, you can use up to 2 cups of sour cream and increase the salt by about 1/4 to 1/2 tsp.



Potato Casserole

Ingredients:
1 pkg frozen hash browns (1 lb. 8 oz.)
1 tsp salt
¼ tsp pepper
½ cup chopped onion (sautéed if desired) 
1 can cream of chicken soup
1 cup sour cream
2 cups grated sharp cheddar cheese


Topping:
Mix together:
½ cup melted butter
1 ½ cup crushed corn flakes


Directions:


Thaw potatoes. If using tater tots or hash brown patties, break them up after thawing. Combine ingredients and mix well. Spread evenly in a greased 9 X 13 pan.

Spread corn flake and butter mixture on top of potatoes. Bake at 350 F for 45 minutes to 1 hour.

2 comments:

  1. I make this all the time. We call it Cheesy potato hot dish. I always use the shredded hash browns too. They work the best.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Around here, they're known as "Cheryl's potatoes." :-) I've passed along the recipe dozens of times, but I still get asked to bring them to every pitch-in.

    ReplyDelete