Mrs. C’s Sausage and Spinach Pie
1 lb bulk Italian sausage
20 oz chopped frozen spinach, thawed and drained well
2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
2/3 cup ricotta or cottage cheese
½ tsp salt
1/8 tsp garlic powder
1/8 tsp pepper
Pastry for a two-crust pie
1 tbsp water
1. In skillet, brown sausage, drain off fat.
2. Separate one of the eggs. Set yolk aside. In a large mixing bowl, stir together the remaining eggs, the egg white, spinach, mozzarella, ricotta, salt, garlic powder, and pepper. Stir in cooked sausage.
3. Line a large pie dish, at least 10 inch, with bottom crust. Transfer sausage mixture to pie crust. Trim bottom crust to ½ inch beyond edge of pie plate. Place top crust over filling.
4. Trim top pastry to ¾ inch beyond edge of pie plate. Fold top crust under bottom crust. Flute edges. Combine reserved yolk and the water. Brush over the crust. Cut slits for steam.
5. Bake in a 375 oven for 75 min. or until crust is golden and filling is set. Cool for 10 min on rack. Serve warm. Serves 10 to 12.