Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Tasty Tuesday Almond Joy Bars!

Oh, my God... I really wish they'd quit putting these recipes in the sidebar on Facebook. The temptation is just too much for an aging, overweight, mildly diabetic erotic romance writer when she needs a break.
I have, ahem, edited the recipe ever so slightly...

Mounds/Almond Joy Bars

Bekka from Birmingham, AL says:
This recipe is so good! Use light or dark chocolate. Use a 13x9 inch pan for a thicker version, or use half the recipe for a smaller group. It is simply easy.

Ingredients
- 10 Tbsp unsalted butter, room temperature
- 3/4 c light brown sugar, packed
- 2 1/2 c flour
- 1/2 tsp fine sea salt
- 28 oz sweetened condensed milk
- 28 oz shredded coconut
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 5 c 70% cacao chocolate baking chunks (loosely placed
in cup)
- sliced almonds or Almond Joy Bites (optional)
1.  Preheat oven to 350° F. Line a sheet pan with aluminum foil and coat with canola or vegetable oil spray. NOTE: I use a 13x9 inch pan because I prefer them thicker. You can adjust the size of the pan to your preference. You can use 1/2 the recipe if you do not need as much.
2.  In a small bowl, cream butter and brown sugar together. Add the flour and salt. Carefully mix until it resembles chunky bread crumbs. Transfer into the prepared pan and press the batter into an even layer. Bake for 8 minutes. Cool on a wire rack while preparing the coconut topping.
3.  In a large bowl, combine the condensed milk, coconut, and vanilla. Spread over the crust and bake for another 20-25 minutes, until it begins to brown.
4.  Melt the chocolate in a double boiler. Stir until smooth. Pour over cooked coconut bars and spread in an even layer. Top with sliced almonds if desired. Allow to cool, then refrigerate until hardened, about 1 hour. Cut into 36 squares.

8 comments:

  1. There's a chocolate covered joy bar!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Opps...I think I left something on the oven! BRB................... :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. OMG!! My Sweet Tooth is hurting!! My favorite candy bars of all time. Scrolling past fast to get to the Hunka. OMG!! That's alot of pure protein. And some experts (Alicia) says that the dark meat has more flava......!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The recipe sounds yummy! Reminds me of Magic Cookie Bars :)

    Unfortunately, I haven't seen any hunks like this during my last four days sitting poolside :(

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm sure Alicia would know, Donna!

    You probably won't Mellanie. I'm not sure they truly exist in the real world.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Almond Joy is a very favorite candy bar of mine...as a matter of fact, I ate a full size one today. It was damn good:)

    Mary got it right out of the gate!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I can't remember the last time I had a Mounds or and Almond Joy. Mounds was always my favorite, though.

    ReplyDelete