Tuesday, August 20, 2013

Tasty Tuesday Zucchini Cheddar Bread!

I know what you're thinking. Zucchini bread should be sweet and gooey and moist and spiced with cinnamon. Well... you know the story. We all need to curb our sugar intake, and where is it written that zucchini bread has to be sweet? I searched and searched for a recipe and never found a single one that wasn't loaded with sugar.

So, being the resourceful CatMaster that I am, I looked up the savory breads in my trusty King Arthur Flour cookbook, and found a couple of cheese bread recipes. I modified them a bit, and they didn't turn out half bad.

This is the first one I tried. It rose up nicely and has a wonderfully moist texture. The other version (which I'll post next week) used milk instead of yogurt and I put Parmesan cheese in that one and used rye flour instead of whole wheat. It didn't rise as well, but I believe the flavor to be superior. Depends on what you like. I used Ultragrain flour, but regular white flour would work just as well and have a lighter texture. This bread is very moist and doesn't even dry out in the toaster. However, due to the high moisture content, it tends to mold quickly, so you might consider keeping it in the fridge.

Zucchini Cheddar Bread

Ingredients
1 cup white flour (ultragrain)
1 cup white whole wheat flour
2 eggs
1 tbsp baking powder
½ tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
1 cup grated sharp cheddar cheese
1 cup plain nonfat yogurt
2 tbsp olive oil
2 tbsp pesto
¼ cup grated onion
1 cup grated zucchini
Directions
Stir all ingredients together, then bake in greased loaf pan at 350 for 1 hour. This is absolutely fabulous toasted and topped with butter and a little more pesto.

4 comments:

  1. Oh YUM!! Might just have to try this. Love zucchini bread but always had a sweet version. Thanks for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL! It's all gone! Makes the best toast you've ever tasted!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'll have to try this version. I still have more zucchini than I can use!

    ReplyDelete